2/16/2007

meditation on light and dark

exploration of light and dark
colour and composition class project#1

acrylic on 3, 5x7 canvasses

project guidelines:

  • Light and dark is a fundamental fact of our existence as the cycle of night and day demonstrates. It is a powerful metaphor, which is at the core of many of our narratives. It underlies the structure of all composition and visual organization. It is a major contrast present in all colour relationships.
  • It is the starting point for the first project, one that might take you in many directions. Explore it physically, metaphorically, culturally, symbolically and in any number of ways. Think, imagine and challenge yourself.

UPDATE
this is the photo that inspired my project. i took it last summer while up at the cottage. i miss it there. sigh.
inspiration for light/dark project

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

uh I realllly want that!
it would look so nice in my house.
serious.

poopee shmoopee said...

thanks kathryn! i haven't even thought about what to do with it when i get it back from my prof in 2 weeks.

hm....

Anonymous said...

Heineken Dark and Heineken Light would be my interpritation...

Me Myself and I said...

beautiful!!

poopee shmoopee said...

squid: interesting...

poopee shmoopee said...

photogirl: why thank you very much

murl said...

i like this a whole lot! good job

poopee shmoopee said...

murl: thanks gurl.

lesley said...

I love your interpretation! I've been hankering to do another piece recently..I'm starting to get sick of the painting hanging above my comuter.

poopee shmoopee said...

lesley: oohooh! post photos. pretty please?!?