- Rudi, A Message To You - The Specials
- She's Automatic - Rancid
- It's My Own Fault - John Lee Hooker
- Fisherman's Blues - The Waterboys
- Headlock - Imogen Heap
- If Your Mother Only Knew - Rahzel
- Portland, Oregon - Loretta Lynn
- I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
- Is That Love - Squeeze
- Rental Car - Beck
- Suck My Kiss - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- In Heaven - The Pixies
- Hung Up - Madonna
- Out In The Park - Sarah Slean
- Refugee - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- Deep - Pearl Jam
- Grass - XTC
- Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes
- Come and Get It - The Beatles
- Kid A - Radiohead
- Path of Thorns - Sarah McLachlan
- My Doorbell - The White Stripes
- Mozart Serenade in B-flat - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
- The Weight - The Band
- My Favorite Plum - Suzanne Vega
- Sanctified - Nine Inch Nails
- Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo - The Bloodhound Gang
- A Taste of Honey - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
- Spiderman - Tenacious D
- Mr. Ambulance Driver - The Flaming Lips
- Flappin'my Pie Hole - Rodolfo Wehbba
- Tenderly - Oscar Peterson
- Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie
- Clinically Dead - Chad VanGaalen
- In Repair - John Mayer
- Honky Tonk - Brian Setzer
- Chilly Will - Spank Rock
- Space Lord - Monster Magnet
- A Satellite's Return - Ammoncontact
- Lookin' For Love - Karen Ramirez
- Summer Turns To High - R.E.M.
- Gonne Leave You - Queens of the Stone Age
- Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
- All We Are - Fischerspooner
- Losing California - Sloan
- End Theme - Zero 7
- Best of You - Foo Fighters
- Boomin' Granny - The Beastie Boys
- Falling Elevators - MC 900ft. Jesus
- Yellow Sun - The Raconteurs
- The Marshalls Are Dead - Bloc Party
- Heavy Metal Christmas - Twisted Sister
- You Wouldn't Like Me - Tegan and Sara
- Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
- Folkloric Feel - Apostle of Hustle
- Dear Confessor - Immaculate Machine
- Way Down in a Hole - Tom Waits
- Blow at High Dough - The Tragically Hip
- Sugar - Ladytron
- Boy From School - Hot Chip
- It's All You - Sebadoh
- What Sarah Said - Death Cab for Cutie
- Valerie Flames - Starlight Mints
- Fistful of Steel - Rage Against the Machine
- Never Give Up - Common
- The Eraser - Thom Yorke
- Anniversary Song - The Cowboy Junkies
- Demon Days - Gorillaz
- Out of Egypt - Sufjan Stevens
- Oh Shooter - Thicke
- Cubicle - Rhinocerose
- White Fang - Bill Frisell
- Lacrimosa - Regina Spektor
- Just Friends - Charlie Parker
- Better Off Dead - Death From Above 1979
- Ghetto Rock - Mos Def
- Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
- Angel - Massive Attack
- All Hail Me - Veruca Salt
- Cruisin' for a Bruisin' - Reverend Horton Heat
- Rough House Blues - Buck 65
- Funtime - Iggy Pop
- Try Honesty - Billy Talent
- Legs - ZZ Top
- Silent Seven - Controller.Controller
- La La Land - Green Velvet
- SOS - Rihanna
- Louie, Louie - Toots and the Maytals
- Boyz-In-The-Hood - Dynamite Hack
- Sexy Ladies - Justin Timberlake
- Feelgood By Numbers - The Go! Team
- Glorious Day - Weezer
- Get Back - Ludacris feat. Sum 41
- Sunday Morning - K-os
- King Without a Crown - Matisyahu
- Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
- You Gonna Want Me - Tiga
- Bro - Goldfinger
- The Police and The Private - Metric
- Memories are Made of This - Johnny Cash
The second week of school is almost over and it's been pretty good so far.
Except now I'm considering changing my major.
After only 2 classes. I'm working on some stencils. Photos soon.
My printmaking prof is Jack Cassady, and of all my homework, it's the only stuff I'm at all excited about.
I feel a little insane.
I guess the thing about it is, is that I LOVE painting, but I guess I'm feeling that I already CAN paint. What's interesting to me right now, is learning new ways of getting colour on paper or canvas. I'm all about the HANDS ON work.
Anyway, the deadline's not until February 2nd. So I won't worry about it yet.
sigh. Why am I here again?
I'm not sure how often I'll be posting while school's on, but I will try to stay on top of the blog and share more of my projects and stuff.
In the meantime, here are some super cute photos of my nephew, Kirk, who we visited in Kingston this past weekend.
Oh and here's two of the cat and dog together after spending the night apart. Usually they are fighting:
And here's a creepy croissant Kirk bought for me:
Oh! And some Christmas presents. My new mini mouse for the iBook and a GINORMOUS pepper grinder (IT WORKS!) from my brother.
every time i do stuff, i plan to write about it here, or post pictures and then i end up doing something else, or not having my camera or whatever.
i wish i could be more committed to it.
here's some photos of my current painting in progress.
Ok, so I've stayed away from my computer as much as possible over the last few days. I was starting to get that weird carpal tunnel feeling, which could also be from the repetitious nature of shovelling food and chocolate and booze into my gullet over the last 2 weeks, but who can say for sure really. I think that's the only resolution I plan to make this year, to take better care of my physical self. I'm going to be 33 in a couple of months, and have definitely felt the lack of physical activity and overeating. Any resolutions of your own?
I did finish a painting finally (see above). Though, I'm not totally satisfied with it, I have decided to leave it for now. What do you think?
I also totally forgot to take photos of our little New Year's Eve soiree. The Melissas came over and we ate a roast chicken dinner that I cooked, plus the salad the Missys brought, and THE MOST DELICIOUS PUMPKIN DESSERT I HAVE EVER TASTED that Kirk made. We also drank 2 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of champagne, a lot of coffee and amaretto. We also played a game of Texas Hold'em with a $20 pot. I totall lost my $5.
How was your New Year's Eve?
In case any of you are interested, here are the recipes for what we cooked:
ROAST CHICKEN WITH CITRUS AND MARJORAM
adapted from a recipe in The Conran Cookbook
1 chicken, preferably free-range
1 small onion
1/2 cup of Jack Daniel's
1 tbsp of black pepper corns
4-5 sprigs of dried marjoram or 1tbsp crushed marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Rinse the bird, then loosen the skin from the meat.
Slice 1 orange and 1 lemon, about 1/4" thick and slide them and half of the marjoram under the skin.
Quarter the last orange and the onion.
Stuff the bird with the remaining orange, onion and remaining marjoram, and pepper corns.
Put the bird in a roasting pan and spread the butter all over the breast and legs.
Pour the Jack Daniel's into the roasting pan, then roast it. It's about 1hr for a 3lb bird. Since ours was 6 lbs, it took just over 2 hrs.
Baste the bird often with the pan juices.
Use the leftover crusty bits and citrussy-jackdanielsy-pan juices to make the most delicious gravy ever.
Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup white wine and bring to a boil.
Add about a cup of water and simmer for about 5 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Dissolve a tablespoon of flour into a bit of cold water and pour into the bubbling sauce.
Then whisk until it thickens to the desired consistency.
LENTILS AND LEEKS
from The Winter Vegetarian
2lbs leeks, rinsed and sliced 1/2" thick, including some of the green part
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup green lentils
1 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
Fresh ground black pepper
In a large saucepan toss the leek and carrot slices with olive oil.
Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned, then stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 1 hour, until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
To keep the leek slices intact, do not stir.
PUMPKIN POUND CAKE
adapted from the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church Family Favourites (don't bother looking for this, I got it from Kirk's mom)
1 cup cooking oil
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
20oz tin of pumpkin (we used a 28oz tin and put in a little extra flour)
2 cups pecans
Preheat the oven to 325F.
Mix all the ingredients together and bake for 1 hour.