2/10/2004

concentration beyond my reach today

Yesterday I got so much done here at work. I was so proud of myself. Today I can't seem to concentrate on anything more complex than checking each of my 7 email accounts every 30 minutes.

A few days ago Missy lent me some of her new CDs. I don't really listen to the radio much unless it's the CBC or Jazz FM. I throroughly enjoy all styles of music, but would not consider myself an afficionado by any stretch of the imagination. I just appreciate good music whether it's the blues, bluegrass, folk, country, R&B, hip hop, punk, rock, jazz, pop, reggae, classical or anything in between.

There's a serious lack of original musical programming out there (CFNY was so great in the 80's - truly the spirit of radio. Now it's just the edge - though I still catch Alan Cross' Ongoing History of New Music from time to time). I get pretty bored of most popular music about 3 weeks after it's release so I've come to depend on Missy to bring me up to speed on what else is out there.

Over the last year she's introduced me to The Darkness, Andy Stochansky, Deadbolt, and Princess Superstar among others.

Now she's lent me:

* Peaches - Fatherfucker
We went to see Peaches at the Guvernment a few months ago when she was on tour supporting this album. I think she's a fucking genius.

* Michael Franti and Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music
I haven't listened to it all in it's entirety yet, but from what I've heard, the mix of hip hop rhythms, jazz, reggae and rock influences and socially conscious lyrics is EXACTLY what the world needs right now.

* K-OS - Exit

This is THE best hip hop album to come out of Canada so far. Read a review.

What are you listening to right now?

No comments: