1/05/2004

new year's resolutions anyone?

Kirk and I spent the last week purging our stuff and rearranging our furniture to better suit how we use everything. It gave me an opportunity to reflect on my life and life-style, and think about what I like (want to keep) and don't (want to trash).

BEHOLD - my 2004 new year's resolution:

In 2004, I will DO things, not just TALK about doing them.


Yep, that's it.

For so long I've been felt like an incomplete person who wanted nothing more than to be happy. But what does that mean, really, HAPPY? It's so arbitrary and fleeting, why resolve to be something I can't control with so many happiness-party-poopers out there.

Here is my basic line of reasoning: ACTION + SUPPORT + MISTAKES + SELF-LOVE = TRUE GROWTH = FULFILLMENT = HAPPINESS.

Let me explain. If fulfillment is a by-product of DOING (challenge or not), then to DO, I must :

* be fearless in asking for help/accepting help when I need it,
* allow myself to make mistakes and to learn from them, and
* accept myself as I am (good and bad alike),

So that I can GROW and ACHIEVE and feel FULFILLED.

Yes folks, I know this all sounds hokey, but I think I've been going about this all wrong my whole life. I mean, I could have resolved to lose weight, or eat better or exercise more, or a whole litany of things I want to change (like in past years), but in the end the beauty of this resolution is that I can apply it to every facet of my life - health, art, work, relationships, ANYTHING - and not get all bogged down in the details.

I mean, all I really need to do is TRY and I'm living up to this resolution, right?

*sigh* I guess I should get started by getting back to work now ;)

No comments: